Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Astoria Weekend

We forgot our camera, but Ne and I went to Astoria for the weekend. We both needed the break. A little time alone didn't hurt none, either :)

Because it was Hood to Coast weekend, all the motel and hotel rooms were already booked. We got lucky and found a room at the Grandview Bed & Breakfast. We've stayed there before, and enjoy their hearty breakfasts and views from the rooms. Last time we stayed, we had the basement room. No views, but it has it's own, private entrance and no neighbors.

The weather was sunny, and Ne had to get her letterboxing in. Fortunately, it included some hiking, which I enjoy. One of the best kept secrets of that area is the Fort Columbia State Park. I think a lot of people don't care for it because it is "just" a day park (no overnight camping), but it has so much to offer, including: hiking trails, amazing coastal views, beaches, historic buildings, artillery batteries, a museum, year-round rentals, and beatiful picnic settings. Go take a look and visit them when you're in the area. When we were there some Civil War reenactors were on hand with their equipment, including (and I'm not making this up) a black powder revolver they allowed kids to shoot shotless (blanks). Very cool.

Next we visited the Port of Ilwalco's Saturday Market. We've never been to the Port of Ilwalco, and didn't even know they had a seasonal market. I'm not sure how many more Saturday's they'll be operating, but it was certainly worth the visit. The Port had numerous fishing charter outfits, restaurants, art galleries, and motels. It was a lot bigger than I would have imagined for such a small community.

The next day, we went to...where else?...the Astoria *Sunday* Market. This is the best seasonal market I've ever been to. Lots of vendors, and a fun atmosphere. We escaped with my wallet "only" $60 lighter.

We had a great fun, and relished the opportunity to recharge our batteries. I wish we could go every weekend!

- Big Daddy Andy

No comments: