I really enjoy making soap. I try to share the experience with others when I can. In the picture above starting in the upper left, there are two batches of a shampoo bar recipe (from Wellness Mama). This recipe is really easy.
10oz coconut oil
10oz tallow/palm oil
10oz olive oil
6oz castor oil
5oz lye
12oz distilled water
1.5oz essential oils (.75 rosemary & .75 peppermint - still not enough scent)
heat up oils/fats to around 100-120degrees
sprinkle lye onto water (very important NOT to add water to the lye because there could be a nasty, explosive reaction. Use gloves and be in a well ventilated area - there are some fumes from the chemical reaction). Cool lye mixture down to 100-120degrees.
Once oil mixture and lye mixture are around the same temperature add the lye to the oils. Mix well with an immersion blender until it looks like pudding. Add essential oils, mix well then pour into molds (I used pint milk cartons I took out of the garbage at school). After around 24hours remove from cartons and slice, place in a well ventilated area to cure for around 4-6weeks.
The blue soap Big Daddy Andy bought when he was in Salt Lake City (super expensive). The reddish soap with white mixed in I bought from a lady at the Lake Sylvia Fall Festival. It smells wonderful! There's tuberose in it. A couple months later, Tim and Jessy came over for dinner and gave me the other slice of soap. They bought the same exact soap for me from the same lady at a different festival! How cool is that? :) I haven't tried it yet because I don't want to use it up. I'm a little weird that way. Which is probably why I have all these soaps still.
My next project is to make liquid castille soap. You can use it in all sorts of cleaning recipes. I'll post about it when I finally make it. Maybe I will wait till I can with Jessy.
No comments:
Post a Comment