Wednesday, March 16, 2016

Trim Healthy Mama

Since receiving my diagnosis of Hashimoto's (Auto-immune thyroid disease) I have been looking into how to help my body heal naturally.  I really do not want to take thyroid medicine if I can help it!  The doctor that I saw was not very helpful.  She said there was nothing I can do.  Well, heck if I am not going to try!

One step a lot of people with this disease have tried is to eliminate wheat and sugar.  I thought I would give the Trim Healthy Mama way of eating a try since those two items are eliminated in their approach.   Besides the cookbook, there is the THM Plan book.  It explains the whole approach and is quite lengthy.  That's why I really appreciate the quick start guide from Gwen's Nest.

I guess I am a little like my dad :)  Once I decide to do something I have to go whole hog (or how about whole goat)  Here's a picture of the specialty food items you can buy to help you with the THM cookbook.  You do not have to buy most of these, but they will help.

  I got all this from iHerb.com.  Their prices were really competitive.  

oat fiber 1lb  (part of the baking blend - also need almond flour and golden flaxseed meal and coconut flour)
glucomannan 8oz  (a thickener)
whole psyllium husks 1lb  (used for wonder wraps)
xylitol 1lb (sugar alcohol - doesn't affect blood sugar)
erythritol 1lb (another sugar alcohol - doesn't affect blood sugar)
collagen powder 7oz  (protein for muscles, skin, bones...)
peanut flour 1lb  (defatted peanuts - enjoy without all the fat and sugar!)
nutritional yeast 4.5oz  (vitamin packed protein - sprinkle like cheese)
mineral salt 17.6oz (better than table salt - extra iodine can be bad for my thyroid)
maple flavor 2floz  (gonna make my own syrup without sugar)
whey protein 32oz  (more protein)

I am going to take some before pictures but will spare everyone the horror of seeing those on the blog!

Lord willing, this will help my body stop attacking my thyroid.

- NeNe

No comments: