Monday, March 6, 2017

Soap Fail







I highly recommend this digital scale!  It works well and looks great.

soap mixture was suppose to gel but all it did was get crumbly
My first attempt at making liquid castile soap has failed. (Castile soap is made from olive oil, but some recipes have some other oils added). I am not sure what happened...The crockpot may be too hot on low for the recipe or I didn't stir it enough at a certain time.  After cleaning the crockpot, I will try again (it also bubbled over several times making a yucky mess).






Recipe I tried is from nwedible
24oz (680g) olive oil
16oz (454g) coconut oil
9.35oz (265g) potassium hydroxide lye flakes
32oz (4 cups / 907g) distilled water for lye
10-12 cups distilled water to dilute + extra as needed






melt oils in crockpot on high
add lye to water in separate glass bowl
add lye to oils once oils are melted


blend everything together (keep crockpot on high) for 5 minutes....can check out the nwedible website for the rest of the directions.  I think I messed up on the next step.  It said to blend the mixture every 5 minutes for the next 30 minutes.  I left it for 30 minutes then came and blended. 


Instead of throwing it out, I poured the mixture into molds and will let it cure for a while.  Hopefully the mixture will harden enough to use as soap.





Uses for liquid castile soap (when I finally get it right):
I found these ideas from wellnessmama's website
You can make your own shampoo, body wash, foaming face soap, foaming hand soap, shaving soap, baby wipes, floor cleaner, all purpose cleaner, window cleaner, dog shampoo, and plant bug spray.






There's just so much to do with it that I think it is worth another try.  Plus the store bought liquid castile soap is expensive!  I can't bring myself to buy some when I should be able to make my own.


No comments: