- Big Daddy Andy
Monday, March 2, 2009
Blue and Gold
Last Monday, Cub Scout Pack 516 held their annual Blue and Gold awards banquet at their chartered organization, Emmanuel Lutheran church.
Blue and Gold celebrates the Scouting anniversary, and is a time to recognize the Cub Scouts for their achievements and enjoy time together with their extended families at a Scout event. We usually have a theme for Blue and Gold, and this year it was hunting treasure. The Pack committee chair (NeNe) arranged for each den to get their own treasure hunt with chocolate coins hidden in a treasure chest as the final reward. Many of the themed decorations were provided by one of our Cub Scout grandmas and big helper, Becky.
Some times in the past we've served a meal at the banquet, but lately have been falling back on a dessert potluck (which suits everyone's sweet tooth). Did you know that "potluck" and "potlach" do not have the same meaning, nor did one come from the other? I just found this out by looking at the entry for potluck in Wikipedia (so I know it's true). Potlach is when the host provides all the treats to brag about their wealth, and a potluck is where everyone brings something to be shared by the group.
Some of the dens performed a skit or song. My favorite was a rendition of Home on the Range by the 1st Year Webelos den. Very nice.
There was quite a bit of fun and silliness going on, so I thought I'd capitalize on it by daring Cub Scouts to put an entire piece of cake in their mouth at once. I got some dirty looks from parents, but the kids and I loved it. I'll put only relatives' movies on this blog in an effort not to incriminate myself. Be forewarned, they're kind of long (i.e. large files).
- Big Daddy Andy
- Big Daddy Andy
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment