Thursday, March 12, 2009

Reloading


Yes, we're still here. I saw the above illustration on the CCI Web site (they sell primers and rimfire ammo) and just thought it was funny.

I guess we've been kind of busy lately, and haven't had too much time for family fun. I did manage to get a little deeper into reloading, thanks to some close friends. Reloading (I can't believe the thoroughness of this Wikipedia entry!) is fun, economical, and will be a skill I can pass on to the Malchertlings, whether they plan to use it or not. Plus Rawles says that it's a good TEOTWAWKI barter skill.

It all started when NeNe's father donated all his old reloading equipment to me several months ago. A friend of the family, Jim, was eager to show me how it's done. I finally took him up on his offer last weekend. We discussed, he demonstrated, and I was able to get some hands-on practice reloading .38 special ammunition. I actually went home with 30 rounds that I had reloaded all by myself. Jim also took the time to go over my hand-me-down gear and point out what I still needed to start my own reloading at home. Thanks Jim!

After talking about it at work, Dear Friend Grover mentioned he had some old reloading equipment he'd like to unload. Needless to say, I was over at Grover's the next night, taking it off his hands. I now have two RCBS single-stage presses, a bunch of reloading dies and shellholders, a very nice scale, a case-length gauge, funnels, powder measure (that needs serious cleaning), ammo trays, calipers, bullet-puller, and a burring/chamfering tool. I also managed to get my hands on a bazillion CCI small pistol primers, lead .38 special bullets, and a bunch of .38 special, .357 magnum, and 9mm brass.

Some of the stuff I still need to make my operation complete: carbide dies for .38 special and 9mm, hand priming tool and accessories, stand for powder measure, brass-media separator, primer pocket brushes, and weight checks. If you or anyone you know is trying to get rid of some old reloading equipment or materials, please let me know.

- Big Daddy Andy

No comments: