Since I haven't been able to find a house :( I decided to grow a garden without a garden. I bought Mel Bartholomew's Square Foot Gardening. This book is great for the beginner gardener. It shows you how many plants to sow into square foot sections depending on what type of plant. In the picture above you can see the finished box (I included a solid bottom so we can move it if we need to). So, you would put 16 onions into one section and one tomato in a section. The book recommends that you mix your own soil. The soil in just about everyone's backyard isn't good enough for growing veggies. I think I spent around $60 on the peat moss, verticulite, and compost. You can see the bags in one of the pictures and the pile we had to mix.
I am really excited to start growing things. I bought a bunch of seeds from Backyard Heirloom Seeds. I couldn't decide which seeds to grow, so I just ordered a variety pack.
The book also shows you when to start indoor seedlings and when to transplant them. I have to start the broccoli and cabbage really soon. Then I will start the tomatoes.
I will bracket some metal poles onto the box on the north side for my trellis. The tomatoes, cucumbers, pole beans, and something else are gonna grow up the trellis to save room.
Hopefully, I will have awesome garden pictures in a couple months - not to mention yummy veggies!
- NeNe
1 comment:
That's the kind of box I need for Maggie on the back porch!
Post a Comment