Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Lake Quinault Hike


Ne and I ditched the boys and went for a hike around Lake Quinault last Sunday afternoon. We're in the typical February lull between the cold rains of Winter and the (relatively) warm rains of Spring here in Western Washington, so we've seen a spot of sun in the last couple weeks. Sunday was pretty fair, too. It makes for excellent hiking weather, because you can't get too hot. I would have liked firmer ground, however, but that's not likely in the Quinault Rain Forest.

So, we strapped on our waterproof hiking boots and headed to the outdoors. The drive was beautiful. I took a lot of pictures (4shared.com Web site), especially of the very calm and clear Lake Quinault, falls along the trails, and a huge Wester Red Cedar off the North Shore Road. That tree must have been 20 feet in diameter, completely hollow, and one of the gnarliest looking trees I've ever seen.

I hope to take the boys there next time. I wouldn't mind taking Ne to the Lake Quinault Lodge for the weekend sometime soon, either. Hopefully the weather will be as nice as it was last Sunday.

- Big Daddy Andy

1 comment:

Team Swanner said...

Wow! It is beautiful!