Monday, April 7, 2008

DIN2LBOX

HUH? What does that title mean? Dyin' to Letterbox!

If you like to solve clues, go on scavenger hunts, and create your own works of art...Letterboxing may just be for you!

What you do for starters is have a notebook (for stamping the stamps that you find), carve your own unique stamp (for stamping the logbooks that you find), and clues to the letterboxes that you want to stamp (online at either LBNA or Atlas Quest).

One memorable Letterboxing trip we took was to Quinault Lodge in Washington. The lodge is on the beautiful Lake Quinault. My wonderful husband surprised me by printing out nearby letterboxes so we could search for them during our stay. We were rained upon and hailed upon. I have never seen hail so big! We managed to find one stamp and got really dirty looking for another one.

It is so exciting when you actually find a stamp. But I would say I only find one out of four attempts. Many of the stamps are snagged by wildlife or stumbled upon by muggles (non-letterboxers). It is most depressing and annoying not to find a stamp that your have been hiking several miles to find! At least the waterfall (or some other scenic landmark) will be where it is suppose to be when we hike to see it.

I look forward to the weather improving so I can drag my poor family outdoors searching for more little pieces of carved rubber!

- Renee

No comments: