Sprouts can be grown anytime inside with just a glass jar, seeds, and a cloth. Do not use seeds that you buy to grow in your garden. Most of these have been treated with poisonous fungicides. Do not eat tomato or potato sprouts - they are poisonous!
I started out buying some lentils from the bulk section at Winco. I soaked 3/4 cup of seeds overnight. I was only suppose to soak them 5-6 hours. Hopefully, I didn't over soak them! In the morning I put about a handful inside of my glass jar (old applesauce jar) and placed cheesecloth over the opening with a rubberband. I will need to rinse them for a couple days.
According to my super-awesome, everything you ever need to know about homesteading, The Encyclopedia of Country Living by Carla Emery, on page 135: lentils should sprout in 2 to 4 days.
We shall see! My next crawl toward self-sufficiency is making bread from my sour dough starter (started a couple days ago). It looks kinda bubbly, so I think it is ready.
- NeNe
No comments:
Post a Comment