Monday, July 27, 2009

Double-Double (Runnin') Trouble


My long time running buddy, Todd McD, and I have run just about every local 10K foot race in the Cowlitz area. One we've missed, and have been meanin' to do, is the Kalama River Run 10K, which is part of the Kalama Community Fair.

So, 2009. Another year to make things right in the world of running. As it turned out, we found that the Kalama River Run was scheduled for the SAME DAY as the Mountain Mania 10K in Castle Rock. We *always* run the Mountain Mania 10K. It is organized by a friend of ours, and it has a truly gnarly hill (Bond Rd) that is perfect training for Hood To Coast.

All this is leading up to the *brilliant* idea to...do what? Guess. I bet you can't guess. One of us (I honestly don't remember who) came up with the totally killer, bodacious, radically awesome plan to run both 10K races. Back to back. One at 8:30 and the next one at 11:00. I vaguely recall responding to the idea in this manner: "That'd be totally sweet!" What...an...idiot.

I have to admit, the first 10K (Mountain Mania) went better than planned. I was hoping to bring my 10K time down a minute (53:21 @ Run From The Bears!) My stopwatch said 50:38 when I finished. That's 8:10 minutes per mile. I was stoked, but I didn't have long to enjoy it because...

Todd and I jumped into the car and immediately drove to Kalama to register for the Kalama River Run. In Kalama, the overcast had cleared and it was approaching 85 degrees in the sun. Standing at the starting line with Todd, I started feeling a little queasy. "Maybe this wasn't such a good idea", I told Todd. Well, it was too late to back out, now. The end result wasn't as bad as I imagined it could be, yet not as good as I wanted: 55:56 (9:01 minute/miles). I had to walk several times to fend off heat exhaustion, and was pretty severely dehydrated at the finish line. Stuff hurt. But we did it. Todd did exceptionally well on both runs (typical), but I'll leave the bragging to him.

Maybe I'll do better next time we do a double 10K...NOT!

- Big Daddy Andy

6 comments:

Team Swanner said...

Nice job. You're awesome!

Lori said...

I say you are crazy, insane, touched in the head, cookoo, wackadoo (that's Jennifer's word), and just plain nuts! = )

-=The Malchert Family=- said...

Of the two comments (above), I prefer the first. However, I am not about to start contention with the second. Either way, I'm not about to do that again!

- Big Daddy Andy

John911er said...

Dude that is totally sweet! You guys are studs I so wish I was in that good of shape. My lazy butt hasn't done a 10k in a couple of yrs now... I need to bump the miles up again. I have a 5K I need to really start getting ready for soon as it's in Sept. Maybe a 10K would be a good "warm up" LOL. Glad to hear you are still running well. Give me a holla sometime if you want to get together and go for a run.

carniebryan said...

Brutal man, Brutal.... hmmm, hey September 12th... 15k "Fun" Run.... Men in skirts... sound fun?
I'm pretty sure I will be participating (in the run I mean).

-=The Malchert Family=- said...

Dude, I'll be there. We need to find some athletic kilts this time so we will ROCK!

- Big Daddy Andy