
Team Quad Damage finished the race in 28:48:11 and placed 551 overall, among 1,004 finishing teams. The weather was generally cool and damp. We did have sunny weather on legs 34 and 35 right before Seaside, but it was overcast the rest of the race. It rained a few times, which is refreshing for the runner and annoying for everyone else (especially if you're trying to catch a nap outside).
We had a great team, with several veterans and a few last-minute replacement runners (thanks Joey, Kevin, and Dave!) Everyone was easy-going and relaxed, even after running their 2nd leg in the middle of the night without much sleep. We only missed one exchange by about 15 minutes but everyone was cool about it. All three of our volunteers were awesome (thanks Diane, Terry, and Brad!)
Most of the team shared a beer at the beach, followed by a nice dinner, and shower in Astoria. About half of us stayed in Astoria, and returned home Sunday, myself included, after a hearty breakfast at Pig 'N Pancake.
I was happy with my running performance. For comparison: at the Mountain Mania 10K (6.2 miles) on 7/25, I ran an 8:10 minute/mile pace. On Hood to Coast, my first run (leg #8) around 6 p.m. on Friday was short and sweet and I finished with a 7:58 minute/mile pace. My second run (leg #20) around 2 a.m. on Saturday was a 700 foot climb over 5.5 miles. I'm happy to say I didn't walk once, and finished with a 9:10 minute/mile pace. My last run (leg #32) around 7 a.m. was short, and moderately hilly. I finished that with an 8:10 minute/mile pace. Overall, I ran about 14.5 miles at an 8:30 minute/mile pace. Not too bad for me. I look forward to running even faster in upcoming 10K races.
The Mother of all Relays has been my motivation for running for thirteen years, now. I plan on running HTC for as long as I can. I've been fortunate enough to be able to run a different leg almost every year. My goal is to run each leg at least once before I quit. I'm very close that goal, and only need to run legs #1, #13, and #25 next year to complete it. So, here's hoping next year is as good as this one, full of wonderful people, places, and killer times.
All of my HTC pictures are on my 4shared.com Web site, here.

- Big Daddy Andy
4 comments:
Great job again Andy. I sure wish I had the running motivation you do. You guys are brave doing that race in the middle of the night on a dangerous road. Glad everyone made it safely.
Andy,
you are just crazy ! Twelve years in a row !!!
Nice picture of you and Mikey, you guys look good... just older. I havn't seen you guys in years. I might just have to start running again to see you guys.
Congrats!! Also, you and Renee need to come back here and eat at Pie@trio's with us.
Jen, darn straight we do!
Joon, get your butt out of the house already! Mike and I both talked about how we wished you were there.
John, I'm gonna make you and Bryan join the team next year. Once you pay the fee, there's no backing out!
Post a Comment