Thursday, March 27, 2008

Andy's New Marlin Camp Carbine


Meet my new friend, a Marlin Model 9 Camp Carbine self-loader in 9mm. It was purchased recently from a very dear friend of mine. Funnily enough, I've been looking for a Camp Carbine in 9mm for some time before my "dear friend" piped up that he owned one out of the blue one day. He had purchased it some 15+ years ago and hadn't shot it for some time. It has a brushed nickel finish and smooth walnut stock. It's a beaut.

Before even purchasing my darling, above, I had read on the Internet (so it must be true!) that Camp Carbine owners had blown through the factory recoil buffer. Apparently, said buffer did not react well to some cleaners and/or lubricants that the firearm was initially packed in or were subsequently used upon it. Either way, it was highly recommended to replace the recoil buffer instead of suffering buffer disintegration and fouled gun parts.

I also read that the relatively weak factory recoil spring could result in a cracked stock. I couldn't let that happen to my beautiful, pristine walnut stock! This was more typical for the .45 ACP version of the Camp Carbine rather than the 9mm, but I didn't want to take any chances.

The Marlin Camp Carbine is considered, generally, a solid, over-engineered weapon that can last a lifetime. However, one weak spot that I read about (I read too much) on the Internet (especially there) was the plastic trigger guard and magazine receiver. One drop and you can crack that puppy in half.

So, awesome gun, some weak points. What's a guy to do? Go shopping for gun parts, of course!

My first stop was Wolff Gunsprings. They sell replacement 16 lbs. and 21 lbs. recoil springs to replace the factory 11 lbs. version. Now, the 21 lbs. spring is highly recommended for the .45 ACP version of the Camp Carbine, but I'm hoping the 16 lbs. version will do for my 9 mm. Only $8.49.

Next stop, Wisner's Inc. for a replacement recoil buffer made of nearly indestructible Delrin. This little, but very important part, cost $14.25.

Last, but not least, was a trip to Numrich Gun Parts Corp. for a replacement plastic trigger guard and magazine receiver in case I decide to break the one I got. $13.60.

Why did I purchase each part from a different manufacturer when I could have combined them to save on shipping? Good question. Mainly because I had heard good things about each particular part they manufactured, not necessarily that one manufacturer made all the parts really well. Hey, if I'm going to buy parts for a good gun, they're gonna be good parts.

Next post...the disassembling...

- Bid Daddy Andy

No comments: