Monday, March 24, 2008

Gnat Creek Fish Hatchery & Hike



Last Saturday (3/22) was gorgeous!  I sure can use some more days like that.  Well, it was way too nice to sit around the house, so we dragged ourselves out of bed and made a bee-line for the outdoors.

I told the boys that we were going to the "Fish Arcade" so they needed to take some quarters.  They made faces at me (like they usually do when they're trying to figure out their father) and dutifully put some change in their pockets.

The Gnat Creek Fish Hatchery is located a few miles West of Westport, Oregon and about 20 miles East of Astoria, Oregon.  When we disembarked from the family vehicle, Tim, the oldest, had one of those "Ah hah" moments.  "Fish Arcade" ,he said, as I started pushing quarters in to the fish food dispensers.  We fed the trophy Spring Chinook Salmon until we put a dent in our quarters stash.  Believe it or not, these five boys, ranging in age from 8 to 15 never got tired of feeding the fish.

They weren't as thrilled about our next activity, however.  There is several hundred yards of trail just to the East of the hatchery that runs along, you guessed it, Gnat Creek.  The creek was swollen above the level Renee and I saw it during our last visit in the Fall.  Back then, you could walk along the solid rock creek bed, dodging the rivulets and pools that comprised the creek.  This time, there was no going near the creek.  It was a rushing torrent.

There are a number of Boy Scout Eagle projects that have been completed on these trails by the look of things.  Everything from park benches to plant-identifying placards to bridges were all over the place.  Boy Scout names, year, and troop number were permanently inscribed.

Boy, it was gorgeous out.  Did I say that already?  We could actually smell the vegetation in the sun opposed to the carbon monoxide of town.  It was relaxing and enjoyable.  Since Renee and I didn't have enough of the outdoors, yet, we dragged the boys (not too unwillingly, yet) on a two and a half mile hike from the fish hatchery to the Gnat Creek Campground and back.  The campground hasn't been open since the last severe wind storm knocked down a bazillion (I'm guessing) trees in the area.  In fact, the trail to the campground had some new routes than what it had last time we hiked it.

After about three miles of hiking, the boys were ready for their feast.  We stopped at Fultanos Pizzeria in Clatskanie, Oregon and ate our fill of the best pizza anywhere (I'll back that up with comparison testing if you insist).

We had packed our guns, including a new .22 Crickett youth rifle for the twins, into the rig for some fun.  When we arrived at the Rainier Rod and Gun Club, however, there were already shooters taking up the available space.  Next time, boys.

And until next time...

- Big Daddy Andy