I took pictures of everything so I might as well post it. My apologies to the non-gun nut readers. I didn't get a manual with my fine Camp Carbine, so I had to
download it from the Internet. I also took note of some disassembly notes
here. Thanks fourn6 and Warlord.

Gun empty, magazine removed, and action closed, I turned the gun upside down and loosened the front and rear take-down screws until I could separate the stock from the barreled action. The takedown screws do not actually need to be removed from the stock.

Here's a picture of the stock separated from the action assembly.

With a nail punch I removed the front and rear take-down pins. The pins have a head on them and need to come out the side of the receiver with the serial number. The trigger group easily lifted from the barreled receiver. The bolt stop sat loosely in the receiver.

Here's a picture of the separated receiver and trigger assembly.
I removed the bolt stop, next. There is a little spring under the fore-end of the bolt stop in the receiver that you're not supposed to lose track of because it is hard to replace. It seemed to stick pretty well to the receiver in my case, though.

With a little effort, I pulled the bolt to the rear and up out of the barreled receiver and off of the recoil spring and guide.

Once the bolt was removed the charging handle, recoil guide and recoil spring sat loosely in the receiver and were easily removed.
I took a two minutes to wipe down all the disassembled parts and put a thin coat of gun oil on them (except for the plastic pieces). At the rear of the receiver is the factory nylon recoil buffer.

Here's a nice, blurry picture of the yellowed plastic thingamabob once it was removed.

I'm replacing it with this one.

Here the new buffer is installed. Pretty easy so far. I'm also replacing the factory 11 lb. recoil spring.

Here it lying side by side with the replacement 16 lb. spring. I hope it works.

I put the 16 lb. recoil spring on the recoil guide (a.k.a. rod) and stuck one end in the receiver next to the new recoil buffer and the other in the bolt. I had to be a little coordinated in the placement of the charging handle underneath the bolt. I needed a third arm, but got it done with two ... eventually.

Putting the bolt stop back into the receiver stumped me. Son number one had to intervene (that's his hand in the picture) and show me how to slide the bolt stop in from the front into the rear of the bolt (he's so smart).
Now we come to the part that would have taken a lot less time if I had bothered to read the instructions one more time. But I was excited as my upgraded possession started to take shape. I won't waste your time telling you what we tried to do. Just suffice it to say that I'm very happy, now, that I remembered not to ever, EVER, hammer the take-down pins into position.

I placed the rear of the trigger assembly into the barreled receiver and easily stuck the rear take-down pin into the side with the serial number.

When lowering the front of the trigger assembly into the receiver, I pushed back on the charging handle while simultaneously pushing the feed ramp in the top (front in this picture) of the trigger assembly. The feed ramp HAS to be behind the barrel and not underneath it. Otherwise ... well, bad things.

When you do this right, the front take-down pin slides effortlessly into it's position (again, from the side of the receiver with the serial number).

Lastly, I put the stock back onto the receiver and tightened the take-down screws. I hear these need to be kept tight in order to keep your stock from cracking.
Wow, that wasn't too tough. It was probably tougher to read than to do. Funny ... while I had it all disassembled, I forgot to clean the barrel. Oh well, next time.

- Big Daddy Andy
No comments:
Post a Comment