Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Fort George Brewery + Public House Review

As part of my duties as a Good Rat, I must, occasionally, visit brew houses, pubs, and like locales to objectively analyze and report on their operations, liquid products, and foodstuffs, for the purpose of expanding knowledge for the greater good. It actually takes a good deal of concentration and labor to do this correctly. Worse still, the more liquid products I sample, the harder it is to concentrate.

Having it known that I was visiting Astoria, Oregon this most recent weekend, it was requested, nay, demanded, that I find the "other" brew pub in town that we knew nothing about. I have already visited the Rogue Ales Public House and The Wet Dog Cafe (reviews forthcoming).


Fort George Brewery + Public House is located at 1483 Duane Street in Astoria, Oregon. They are housed in the old Fort George building, named because it abuts the original location, and park commemorating same, of the original Fort Astoria (renamed Fort George by the British after purchasing it in 1812).

They have a thoroughly engaging home page with a plethora of information.

They brew their own beer...

And have a decent menu, which you can view on their Web site.

I picked their Golden Goose pale ale. It was very tasty, light, and not bitter. And I chose to sample their Hot and Spicy Italian Sausage with french fries.

The fries were awesome, and the sausage...not bad. You can see my Golden Goose served in a jar. You can also see the German Potato Salad that NeNe ordered. It is really more like a very tasty Potato Soup.

NeNe picked the daily special, the Blue Cheese Top Sirloin Burger.

Which, I must admit, we both enjoyed.

All in all, an decent place. Nice atmosphere, interesting people, lots of brews to sample, and a diverse and tasty menu. I'll have to come back for a more thorough examination. But, for now, I'll give it a B.

- Big Daddy Andy

No comments: