Besides not liking beer, I also do not like wine. So why on earth did I go into a winery? I had to check out the chocolate wine that is only made in this winery. It is an orange/chocolate wine. I would actually call it a syrup. It was pretty thick. But it tasted lovely. I can imagine it poured over some ice cream or cheesecake.
The Shallon Winery is named after the salal plant, the owners favorite plant. I noticed right away that he had these plants and we talked about taking care of them (this was probably the only time he seemed interested in what we were talking about. He sounded pretty bored talking about wine the rest of the time. I guess I might be a little bored if I had been talking about the same thing for a couple decades). I will have to go to the Rainbow Nursery near Canon Beach to pick up some starters.
Now, back to the wine.
I actually liked the cranberry wine. It was sweet enough to cover the usual nasty wine taste.
The owner, Paul, is a "one man show". He was quite an interesting character. He has been making wine since the 80's. It was a little hard to follow everything that he was saying about wine. He even said I wouldn't remember most of what he said but continued to rattle off tons of info at me. His winery is very small, but he makes up for that by having a very impressive laboratory...his words.
He does not use wooden casks. I wanted to ask why but he beat me to it. He didn't want to go into the extremely long explanation of why it isn't necessary to use wooden casks. I will never know now! Maybe it is on his website, though.
So, if you like wine and would like to hear a ton of info about wine, this is the place to go!
- NeNe
No comments:
Post a Comment