Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Labor Day Weekend

I don't want you to think that the M Troop didn't do anything on Labor Day Weekend, I just forgot the cameras. They needed a break anyway.

Friday night, I was certain that nobody would be at the Rainier Rod and Gun Club shooting range. So, we packed the guns, and off we went. Unfortunately, I forgot that Friday is trap shoot night.  Shotgunning is in our future, so we had to find something else to do for the time being.  Rainier High School has a few nice playgrounds, and it was close by.  While we were there, Nene pointed out that there is a perimeter trail around the school property, which is ginormous (didn't think that was a real word, did ya?)  Instead of sitting around watching the youngest three cavort on a steel and plastic behomoth of a playground structure, I forced them to march with me on the perimeter trail.  The trail was well maintained and offered sublime views of surrounding nature.  It was very tranquil...and very long.  Soon, it was getting dark and we had to abandon our trail marathon and high-tail it back to the family transport.  Like nice, long walks in the woods?  Bring your dog (concealed weapons are probably a no-no on school property) and try out the Rainier High School perimeter trail.

And on Saturday...we went to Boy Scout BBQ at Marc, Melody, and Eli's house.  They were great hosts, and everyone had a fabulous time.  We especially liked the Chubby Bunny, Coke/Alka Seltzer, and Iron Chef cake building contests.  The BBQ featured ginormous Elk burgers and BBQ'd oysters on the half-shell.  #1 through #3 spent the night, camping in tents in their back yard.

And on Sunday...(FYI, this post will never end) we went to church.  Duh.  Oh, and Nene and I went to eat a ginormously fantastic pork dinner at a dear friend's house.  They know who they are.

And on Monday...we decided to take the younger three to ride #3's mini-bike in a ginormous field near the Rainier High School perimeter trail.  It was secluded enough that we thought nobody would notice or care about us tearing it up with motorized sports equipment.  We were right.  As an encore, we gave #4 and #5 a try at it.  They were pretty unsteady, but cautious enough to get a few good runs in without any catastrophic results.

Afterward, we managed to get a few rounds off at the shooting range.  Finally!  I was starting to have ginormous withdrawals.

Well, that's more than enough for one sitting.

Have a ginormous day,

- Big Daddy Andy

No comments: